Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Leaving Home

One of the many ironies of life is all the thought and energy spent during high school thinking about what we were going to do when we graduate and then realizing no matter how far we went or what we choose to do, we're forever connected to that place.

I remember almost everybody at one time or another saying what they were going to do or where they were going to go after graduation. Some had plans for college while others simply wanted to go someplace else, usually to find work.

One day during our senior year, Jerry White came by the school and filled us with story after story of what it was like to live in Atlanta. It was a bit scary to think of living in such a huge place but any apprehension was outweighed by the thrill of the pending adventure and the chance to get out of "this little one horse town".

Also, did you ever notice that when someone did leave, they were referred to as "working" someplace. Jerry White for example, was "working" in Atlanta. They were never said to be "living" there. It was almost as if we were saying that even though someone might physically be someplace else, they would always live in Loudon. That proved very true for some of them because even though they initially left, within a few years they came back.

Then there were those who never planned to leave Loudon. The path they chose left them there, or near there. The double irony for me has always been that I left, but if the draft had not pushed my hand, I would have probably been one of those who stayed. I guess that's why I still feel the tug at my heart to go back from time to time. Loudon isn't the same of course, and never will be, but I guess some part of me still sees it the way it was and probably always will.

Home is where my wife and kids are, but my home town will always be Loudon.

No comments: