Friday, March 30, 2007

My Rules

From the beginning of this blog I have tried to maintain certain rules.

1. Star Trek had its prime directive of no interference, and I have my prime directive of not intentionally writing anything negative about anybody. I have tried to stick to this rule even though I realize this is such a one dimensional means of communicating and sometimes what I write and how someone else reads it can be two very different things. But I still try.

2. As Bing Crosby used to say, I try to “ac-cent-tchu-ate the positive, eee-lemon-ate the negative.” Do I have high school memories that aren’t so pleasant? You betcha! I’m just not going to dwell on them. To me it would be unhealthy to be digging up bones almost 40 years later.

3. Stay on topic and off the soap box. This is probably the hardest thing for me to do. After all, I am a southern male and I do tend to speak my mind. This just isn't the place.

4. KISS. Only I’ve changed it from Keep It Simple Stupid to Keep It Short Stupid. I know I tend to get wordy on some of these things, but you should see what I delete sometimes. :)

5. Don’t let this interfere with my real life. I truly do enjoy doing this, but at the same time it’s just something I do with my spare time, no more, no less. My family and my life still come first and I am able to turn this on and off as I need to. I love you guys and learned a long time ago to put my memories in perspective. This is just a way for me to maintain contact with a great bunch of people.

6. Keep getting more and more people involved. At times this is the prime directive and where I routinely put most of my energy. I’ve said several times that I don’t like making this blog so Doug-centric. I want everybody involved. I figure to this point I’ve contacted roughly 25% of the class, and the ones who visit this site have told another 25%, so we still have our work cut out for us. We’ll get there.

No comments: