Sunday, September 16, 2007

Starry Night

Over the course of this blog we have all commented on things that have changed over the years, and for the most part that change was to be expected. After all, we were young and our lives lay before us. No one had any idea of what they would be or where they would end up, we only knew what our dreams and plans were. So yes, most things were supposed to change, but some things were not.

The other morning I left for work about 5:30. A front had passed during the night and left the sky clear and bright and when I walked out of the garage the sky was filled with stars. They were the same stars I loved to look at when I was a kid, but these days they are not as clear or vivid.

Back then there were so many more of them, filling the sky from one horizon to another. Now they're dim and hard to see because of the pollution and light saturation from bright city lights and shopping centers. You can still see Venus showing off her pretty self most mornings just before sunrise and Mars looking red and angry from time to time, but some of the others I haven't seen clearly in awhile; like Pleiades who seems to have lost a sister or two or the sky is just too hazy to see if all 7 of them are there or not.

They weren't supposed to change. People do, place do, but not the sky. I would love to show my grandchildren the night sky I used to see, maybe someday I will find a place where I can. Is the night sky in Loudon still the same? I sure hope so.

No comments: