I think what Brenda is referring to in her comment on the last post is pitching pennies. I had forgotten all about that. I have no idea why they called it pitching pennies, because I never pitched a penny --- most times it was a quarter, although I have used nickels and dimes.
To play the game, you stood so far back from the wall and tossed your coin toward the base of it. The one who got their coin closest to the wall won all the coins that were tossed. The absolutely worst toss was one that hit the wall because it always seemed to bounce way back toward you. You could go through lunch money in no time at all. I think I lost much more than I won, so why play? I can't really answer that. Maybe because it was a guy thing; a way of showing you were the best at something. There was no way you could back down from a challenge.
It's funny how things have changed over the years. In high school a guy bragged at how good he was with the girls and at pitching pennies. For most of the time I was in the Air Force, or at least the first ten years, it was how good he was with the ladies and at shooting pool. Now they brag about women and doing things with a computer (or at least the guys I work with do).
It was like if they could show how good they were at pitching pennies, or shooting pool, or hacking computers, by default they were proving the other, when all the time the rest of us knew it was just so much BS. Because if they pitched pennies, or shot pool or hacked enough to be that good at it, they didn't have time to spend with girls. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment