Some of the things, both good and bad, about Loudon that in some ways influence me even now..
Some of the good….
Rain on a tin roof
Ice cold buttermilk
Going fishing
Sitting on a front porch, usually in a swing
High school sports
Country ham… yes, I know. It has too much sodium, fat and cholesterol, but I love it.
The sound of a mourning dove
The smell of honeysuckle
Peace and quiet
Picking (and eating) blackberries along the road
Jumping into the creek or river from a rope swing. So what if it was muddy river water?
Ice cold watermelon
Going barefoot in the yard --- no way I could do the roads anymore.
Powdered milk
Powdered eggs
Lonely Sunday afternoons downtown
Snakes
Mowing yards for $1 a piece. Some of them were pretty big
Moving to
People bumming cigarettes
Trying to go to sleep when it was still hot outside
3 TV channels
The far too many times the baseball field was empty
I can’t go to bed with the front door open
2 comments:
While my daddy was still alive, we slept with the door and windows open. We did latch the screen door(for safety reasons).This was before air conditioning. That was in the country though it may have been different in town. As for the mourning dove-- there are a couple around here I'd like to send you.
We never locked our doors, (cars or house). Seems you could trust people more then, or do we just spare the rod too much now?
Post a Comment