Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What Did You Look For?

My daughter mentioned a boy at school the other day, in as little detail as possible, of course. There are some things a teenage girl doesn't talk about with her Dad and boys probably top that list. The only thing is, most of the ones I know about aren't exactly what I would call dashing, at least to me they're not. And like most things, it got me to thinking about when we were in school.

Why did you pick who you picked to date? Was it their looks? clothes? charm? social standing? brains? Or maybe it was the way they smiled or made you laugh or the way they treated you? Was it because they were in the upper classes? Have their own car? If you ever really put your finger on it let me know, because I have no idea.

I guess like most teenage boys I looked for "cute" and I will admit to a little shallowness in that she had to pass the "friends" test. There was no way you wanted to give the guys something to laugh at you about, especially when it came to who you wanted to date.

There was another shallowness too. Most guys were looking for that 'ideal' girl, the perfect one. Girls on the other hand seemed to be more realistic. They knew most guys came with at least some extra baggage so they didn't set their sights too high, they could adjust, and most of them ended up with a nice guy anyway.

I obviously can't speak for every guy. I was no great prize, but I remember one girl I was trying to impress, and the guy who seemed to have the inside track wasn't any more of a prize than I was. Talk about a bruised ego. After a while she got wise and didn't end up with either one of us.

So, why did you pick who you picked to date?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one date with a guy because he had a nice car (he didn't drive it on our date!) I dated another guy because I thought he was cute. I started dating Bruce because we were both at the skating rink and starting talking. We were friends for a few months before we started dating.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to be anonymous, just forgot to type my name.