Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weather I Remember or Not

It's starting to get cooler here. The leaves on the trees along the street out front are a brilliant red, and for Friday night football you have to bundle up a little. Indiana reminds me more of home this time of year than any place I've lived since I left there. Now if it only had a few more hills. :)

Is the weather there the way I remember it? In junior high I can remember we missed so much school because of snow we had to go on Saturdays for half a day. Do you still get snows like that? However, I don't remember any significant snow during the entire four years of high school. Also, in the fall and spring it would start to rain early in the week and rain at least through the next weekend. Day after day of dab, dreary rain. It always felt so gloomy. Does it still do that?

I know it must still get foggy a lot. The river alone would see to that. I remember walking to high school one foggy morning and when I had crossed Carter Street and was almost in front of the school, I bent down and could see under the fog all the way to other other side of Steekee St. It was foggy from my waist up and clear below it. I have never seen anything like that, before or since.

It's funny how things like that stick in your mind when I can still see the faces of some of the people I went to school with but can't remember their name at all. It should be the other way around..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last big snow we had was the blizzard of 93?, I think. We may have had an inch or less after that I can't remember. You're right seems like we had more snow in years passed than we do now. But, hey, now the kids get out for snow days when the weather people say we are going to get snow. Just because the atmosphere is right for one.

Anonymous said...

The blizzard of 93 was the worst I remember ever. We didn't have electricity for a week at my house because of all the trees down on the power lines. The drifts were so high we couldn't get the car or truck out either. We got together with the neighbors and cooked on the grill (outside in the snow).

Anonymous said...

I think your big snow storm was a big ice storm for us in Memphis. Wasn't that the year Kay? We were without power for about a week and the other side of the street was on a different power grid and they got their lights back right away. Talk about depressing.