Monday, December 14, 2009

Letters to Santa

I heard a little girl say something the other day about writing a letter to Santa and I immediately thought of the letters the little ones used to write to Santa and the Herald would publish them. Do they still do that? Probably not, but I hope they do. If I remember right I think I also got a copy of the Herald after I joined the Air Force that had the letters in it. They were printed with red ink and they came from most of the grade schools in the county.

I remember reading them as a teenager. Everybody in the family passed those pages around, trying to find letters from little ones we might know, or simply just to read them. It was one of the things that put me in the spirit because some would ask for the usual popular toy but there was always one or two that would tug at your heart strings when they asked for something for someone else who might be sick or might not be getting much for Christmas. It's funny how sometimes the heart of a child can capture the meaning of Christmas and express it so much better than a grown up can. Maybe that's what believing in Santa Claus does --- it makes you more caring.

I know a lot of adults who could use a shot of that.

No comments: