I was saddened to hear of the passing of Miss Mize the other day. According to my copy of Webster, "a cultural icon can be (among other things) a name or person that is readily recognized, and generally represents an object or concept with great cultural significance to a wide cultural group. "
I don't know how wide that group has to be in order to qualify, but to the group that went to Loudon High School for the many years Miss Mize was there, she definitely helped define a portion of their high school experience and in my mind qualifies as an icon.
She and I had our differences. She was there to teach me whether I was there to learn or not, and she never altered course. I had to admit at the end of the school year I had developed more than a little respect for her.
She was a very nice lady and holds a well deserved spot in my high school memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment