I love Christmas, always have and always will. I don't care for the commercialization of it, or the Political Correctness side of it, but I usually ignore those. I like the warmth of the festivities and the Church services and people actually seeming like they're going out of their way to be nice to one another. Okay, so I'm a dreamer. I'm George Bailey running down the middle of my own Bedford Falls, but that is me.
At one time I thought I had every reason not to like it. One year my grandfather died on the 22nd and was buried on the 26th and there was more than a handful of years when I was a kid that Christmas was something someone else got to enjoy, and in the AF at times I was half a world away from my family --- but even with all that, things weren't always bad.
My oldest son was born at 1am on the 26th after his mom spent all day Christmas day in the labor room... and even after all that pain even she admitted it was a terrific Christmas. I have a grandson who was born on the 28th, so he didn't miss it by much either. Then there are the times I wouldn't trade for love nor money... like when Sarah was 2 and gave me a Coke for Christmas... just a simple can of soda she wrapped and labeled herself and the look on her face was priceless when I opened it, or the look on any of their faces when we have nailed it and got exactly what they wanted.
Ah heck, I know you guys all have the same type memories, the ones that make you smile as soon as you think of them. Those wonderful and special times with your parents or your kids or your grand kids. Moments that nobody can take away from you. That's what I wish for you all this Christmas, the closeness of your families and special friends. I hope you laugh a little more often, sing a little louder and love a little deeper.
Merry Christmas folks and think of me when you sing Silent Night.
No comments:
Post a Comment