Sunday, May 21, 2006

Characters

I'm not trying to embarrass anyone, but who did you consider a character? I think most of them wouldn't mind being remembered for putting a smile on our face. I know the ones I can think of wouldn't mind it at all. What is a character anyway? According to the dictionary it's a person with an unusual or odd personality. I would add the word ‘likable’ to the beginning of that and squeeze the word ‘occasionally’ somewhere in the middle. "A likable person who occasionally displayed an unusual or odd personality."

So who was a character? I think there would be as many examples as there would be answers to the question. In fact, we all probably fit that role for someone at one time or another. For me they would have to include:

Doug Christian. He could put up with so much stuff from some of us and hand it back in spades. I don’t know how long I’ve known him, but I can’t remember a time he wasn’t around, and I never saw him without a smile and he was just as quick to laugh at himself.

Eugene Henley. Eugene and I go back a long way too. If you didn’t want to know what Eugene was thinking, don’t ask, because he would tell you point blank and with no frills.

Jabbo Lynn. He was another one of those guys who was always the same, day in and day out, which meant he was usually laughing about something. And if he was around, then you knew not far away would be….

Steve Knox. I think Steve’s sense of humor was way more mature than any of the rest of us. I didn’t appreciate some of the things he said until much later.

Allen McNabb. A caustic wit. He would say anything at anytime to anybody, but he’d be laughing the entire time so you didn’t know if he was serious or not.

Wayne McNabb. In the same mold as Doug Christian. I’ve known him since first grade, day one. You had to really know Wayne to appreciate him, because he would zing you before you realized what had happened. Still water runs deep. Bud, you are missed.

Becky Poole. A great sense of humor… for a girl :) and was always ready with a laugh. She was another person who could laugh at themselves.

Donna Morgan. Donna spoke her mind. Always. And often :) Like Eugene and Allen, she was direct and to the point, but usually with a smile.

Sylvia Robinson. A super sense of humor, and she was that way in grade school too.

Edward Watson. He once gave a report during class as Paul Harvey. And he was better than Paul would have been if he had done it himself.

Tony Woody. He was always into something, or at least getting caught for it, but he never stopped laughing.

Who was a character for you? I guess the answer would also depend on who you ran with or had classes with, but heck, the place was so small we all had to bump into each other at one time or another. :)

No comments: