Monday, May 08, 2006

Driver's Ed

Okay, I don't normally do requests. I remember once in California I was supposed to be keeping an eye on the turn table at a party, and in between albums I'd talk to whoever was standing nearby. This guy came up and said something like, "Hey man, you take requests?" I said, "Sure if I've got it." And he said, "Good, then shut the hell up and play something." Anyway, Kathey asked for this so I’ll try.

I don't have a lot of memories about Driver's Ed. Like most of the guys I'd done work that required you to jump on a tractor or into a truck or something before, so taking Driver's Ed was more a formality since it helped lower your car insurance. I did take it late; first half of senior year when I was 17. I also remember Doris was in my class, as were Lynette and Donna too (I think).

I was not in the car when RL or whoever it was ran through the cafeteria window, but that story has grown by legendary proportions over the years, and sort of became a symbol of Driver’s Ed.

I also remember that no matter how much experience you had driving, everybody got a little case of the jitters when they had to drive with Coach Watson and a carload of their friends along, especially if you had to drive across the bridge. It wasn’t easy staying calm when you felt everybody else in the car tense up, and out of the corner of your eye you could see Coach Watson brace himself. And Heaven help if there was a diesel coming the other way. As an adult I know that the bridge was a full two lanes wide and diesels could pass each other with ease, but I have to admit that during Driver’s Ed it felt almost like there was only a couple of inches clearance on either side of the car.

I can remember borrowing a car for a date and was so nervous I was almost visibly shaking, and just when we’d made it to the drive in and I thought the worst was behind us, I ran into a speaker pole and pushed it over. So much for impressing your date, huh? :)

Now Kathey, it’s your turn. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I was just trying to give you some ideas as to what to write about next. I remember one time I got in behind the wheel and asked Coach Watson if he wanted to see what the car would do (speedwise) and he said not with you behind the wheel. So I didn't know whether he was saying I couldn't drive or what!! I can't even remember who was in my driver's ed group.

Anonymous said...

Drivers Ed. with Coach Watson was so cool. We could talk him into most anything. Once we drove to his house for him to get something he needed at school. He let us stop at grocery stores for a coke and snack. Remember Tony W. got expelled for having a coke in school. When some of the shy,timid, girls were driving he would hold his brake down so the car wouldn't move. They thought something had happened to the car.The ones I remember in my group were Debbie Murray and Janie Barrier. When we went to take our driving test, I remember that I curbed the tire when turning right. Of course, I giggled and said whoops. The patrolman just looked at me and grinned. I'm still curbing tires to this day.