Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thoughts on Memorial Day

I fully understand and appreciate what Memorial Day is all about. I spent 20 years of my life helping to defend this country along side a great bunch of men and women, so I am totally aware of the price paid by those that are honored on this day, and my intent here is not to trivialize that honor in any way. The day belongs completely to their memory and the remembrance of the sacrifice they made for us.

But when my mind goes back to those I knew who died protecting this country, I can't help but think of other people who have died who also had an impact on my life. To me, some of the same qualities that formed a bond with my military brothers and sisters also formed a bond with you. I have carried lifelong friendships with them and with you. I have shared tears and fears and joys and accomplishments with them and with you. And I may not have faced an enemy with you, but we did face what was probably the most important years of our lives together.

A man is made up of bits and pieces of the places he has been, the things he has done, and the people he has known. Those are probably in reverse order of importance, because nothing influences us more than the people that have touched our lives. These people touched my life, and yours, and includes, when all is said and done, probably the best friend I have ever had. May they all rest in peace.


No comments: